Questions by Mike Ritchie in September 2017
- What are the biggest technical constraints you face in your development?
- What would the consequences be of getting these trade-offs wrong?
- How do these impact the way you would prefer to work, if you had more freedom?
- How do you explain to new team members how the code is affected by these constraints?
- What do you feel OK about compromising on?
- What compromise would you go to great lengths to avoid making?
- Do the trade-offs affect the quality of your product from a user’s perspective, or is their impact more internal?
- What can you do to mitigate the effects of these compromises?
- How do you stop compromise becoming a habit?
- How do you know if your constraints are absolute or negotiable?
- How do challenging constraints improve you as a developer?
- If these constraints were magically removed, would you have a clear idea what parts of the code you’d want to change?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.