The Proper Care And Feeding Of Communities Of Practice
Questions by Per Hammer in September 2019
- What do you understand by the term “Community of Practice”?
- The term originally referred to the community atmosphere created by apprenticing and mastering a trade, how does that relate to Communities of Practice as we experience them?
- What makes it a Community of Practice rather than something else in the same vein, e.g. Community of Interest, Social Learning Space, Centre of Excellence?
- What makes Communities [of Practice] “successful”? What are your experiences of useful metrics?
- Can any of these metrics, or others, be used as early indicators of likely future “success”? What are warning-signs for future challenges?
- What techniques, practices, or rituals have you seen that help make Communities accessible for newcomers while still being valuable and interesting for experts?
- Diversity challenges – what approaches have you seen used to make CoPs inclusive and welcoming to diverse members (e.g. race, gender, neuro-type)?
- Cultural challenges – what approaches have you seen used to make CoPs inclusive and welcoming to people from diverse cultural backgrounds?
- Scale challenges – what approaches have you seen used to make CoPs successful at scale? What’s a “minimum viable” size for CoPs? What about “Maximum viable”?
- How do you practice? What is the most interesting way to practice that you’ve seen?
- One goal of CoPs is to hone skills on both a personal as well as communal level. As participants and facilitators, how can we contribute to this goal?
- Have you seen any examples of CoPs generating knowledge in addition to sharing and discovering it?
- Engaging in a collaborative, social learning process of “thinking together” is core to CoPs. What techniques do you have for inviting others to join you in a social learning activity? How can you invite someone to join you in an ad-hoc social learning activity?
- Participation Inequality Principle - 90:9:1 rule - and how to mitigate it? What can the whole community do to decrease the participation inequality?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.