Writing Usable APIs
Questions by Craig Nicol in September 2016
- What’s the worst thing an API has done to you?
- What’s the first thing you check when evaluating the use of a new API?
- What’s the first thing you do when developing a new API?
- Do you approach developing APIs internally differently to one for the public?
- How do you make an API foolproof?
- How much structure should an API have? Does it need a contract? (see SOAP vs REST)
- How should you change an API?
- How should you retire an API?
- Which stakeholders need input to API upgrades and changes, and how do you engage them?
- How do you keep an API consistent if you grow it via tests?
- Do bug fixes necessitate a new version?
- How do you isolate your application from an insecure API?
- How do you isolate your application from an unreliable API?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.