Questions by Ali King in September 2017
- How much should a developer who is not a database specialist know about databases?
- What should you consider when choosing a database technology?
- Do you need to write SQL to get good database performance?
- How useful is knowledge of data structures from Computing Science in writing good code?
- What is the difference between a data scientist and a data engineer?
- What is the minimum you should do to back up your data for a production system?
- How do you generate realistic and thorough test data for systems which take external input, like databases and APIs?
- What measures should you take to keep your data secure from accidental and malicious exposure?
- How do you work out whether you should use Big Data technologies?
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes in in May 2018. What will this mean for how you handle data?
- Why might you use blockchain rather than a conventional database to store data?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.